Montgomery Memorial Baptist Church has been a vital part of the Gainesville/Hall County community for 100 years. Founded in 1905, the Church was named for Mr. Victor Montgomery, President of the Gainesville Mill Company. Originally the Church met at a location on Ridge Road. Several years later the Gainesville Mill Company constructed a facility that was attached to the Gainesville Mill School. The classrooms of the Gainesville Mill School were used for Sunday School.
In 1926, the Gainesville Mill Company built a new facility at the end of Dunlap Street, where the Church met for 30 years. On November 3, 1955, Pacolet Manufacturing Company (formerly Gainesville Mill Co.) donated $20,000 and 4 1/2 acres of land to build a new Church at the current location of 56 Dunlap Street. The ground breaking for this new sanctuary took place on July 10, 1955 and was completed on 1956. Four years later in 1962 and educational building was added.
Sadly on June 4, 2000 the sanctuary was destroyed by fire. Fortunately, firefighters were able to save the educational building where the church met until a new sanctuary could be built. The church rebuilt on the same property and began services in the sanctuary on May 19, 2002. A dedication ceremony was held on June 2, 2002. Work was begun on finishing the basement in August 2005. We now have a new Fellowship Dining Area that will seat 350-400, nursery and children's church rooms, fully equipped kitchen with large walk-in pantry and storage area.
The Church celebrated its 100th Anniversary on September 18, 2005 and also dedicated the New Fellowship Hall on that date.